Starship cares for children of all ages, from tiny babies to
teenagers. Many children are far from home and in hospital
for long periods of time, so a range of items to help keep children
distracted and entertained are welcome.
However, there are strict hygiene and safety criteria which need
to be followed to protect our unwell children from cross-infection
and outside germs. Please read the guidelines below to see if
your gift is suitable:
- Check out our wish list - this
has been compiled by Starship staff / physio / teachers and play
specialists as things they would urgently like in the
- NO SOFT TOYS PLEASE! We respectfully ask
that no stuffed toys be donated to Starship. Soft toys are
extremely hard to keep sterile and clean and the stuffing provides
an ideal carrier for outside dirt and germs. Even brand new
toys can be affected.
- Good condition 'hard' toys (i.e. wood, plastic, metal), can be
accepted, provided they are safe and can withstand being put
through a medical steriliser or dishwasher and wiped with an
- Books, toys, puzzles, games, portable DVD's and CD's make
great distractions for our kids but please ensure they are in good
condition, not dusty or dirty, have all their parts and can be
- Follow the checklist below to see if your gift in kind donation
- Is it clean?
- Is it in good condition?
- Can I post or deliver it to the hospital myself?
- (We apologise that we are not able to pick up items)
While we are very grateful for gifts for the patients,
you cannot deliver them personally to the patients. We can accept
gifts on your behalf and make sure the patients get
Please remember that Starship is a special place for our sick
kids to get better in and we are often overwhelmed with gifts from
generous supporters. Due to the lack of storage space within
the hospital, we may occasionally (during busy periods like
Christmas) pass on donated goods to other charitable
Starship is a busy working hospital so please do not be offended
if we cannot accommodate your donation at this time. We truly
appreciate your support and recommend:
- Selling unwanted items on Trade Me or similar sites and
donating the money to Starship Foundation who will use it to fund
vital medical equipment, therapeutic play items, family support
services, ward rebuilds and staff training.
- Seeking other organisations which support children but do not
face the same health risks.
- Finding out if there is another innovative way in which your
item could be recycled.
- Check out the rest of our website to see if there are any items
on sale at the moment which you can purchase to support
If you have read the above and are confident you have items
which can be donated, please contact Maziah Zaini on 09 307
4957 or email MaziahZ@adhb.govt.nz